19 February, 2007

I like coming here...

"I like coming here!" Those were the words of a kindergartner on Sunday as she was in her small group. I just happened to be in the room to collect the attendance sheet and overheard what she said. Her sentiment is one that I highly agree with. I like coming to the Chapel. Because it's my job, I am almost always there but it sure is something I love doing.

Sunday was a good day. In the 1st grade class, the extraordinary kids were making cute invitations, inviting their friends to "Gum to Sunday School". They attached a piece of gum to the invitation and it was a really neat thing for the kids to do. I'm excited to see if their friends come. The extraordinary kids series wraps up next week but I think the things the kids learned will last long after the series is over.
In the 4th and 5th grade classes during our 9:45 service this weekend, they all worked on impromptu skits in their small groups and presented them to the class as a group. The lesson was called "Want more?" and was all about contentment and generosity, two very good topics for kids in North Jersey. One of the teachers in there had just returned from a mission's trip to Jamaica and was able to tell the kids some of the things that she saw. I'm really hoping that the story she shared about a woman who came to see the doctor because she hadn't had anything to eat in 4 days will make a positive impression on the kids. The teacher was able to share with the kids how the team was able to give some food to the woman and some clothes and then she came back that night to hear the Gospel message given. I don't know if that woman made a decision for Jesus but I know that the story left an imprint on me and I'm hoping it made an impact on our kids. I never want our kids to feel powerless when they hear about kids who have less than them but to feel like they can make an impact no matter what their ages because they love and follow Jesus.
I think we moved a little closer yesterday to seeing our kids passionate about Jesus and desiring to "do his work, show love and share him with others", one more part of the vision of the Chapel's Children's Ministries. And that's why I like coming here...

No comments: