25 January, 2007

proud to live in New Jersey!

So ever since I moved back to New Jersey (I lived in Trenton for 4 years when I was a little girl), I have struggled with really being able to call this place home and feeling proud to say that I'm from NJ. It's not that I don't love what I do or who I work with-I do! I was given a gift of great community when I joined the Chapel's staff and was given the chance to do what I love. So it's not that. But there have been many moments of missing the great weather of Florida, the relaxed atmosphere of Guyana or my family that is spread around the world in three other continents (Indonesia, Guyana, Germany and Indiana). There have also been moments of frustration as I adapted to the roads and drivers of NJ or ate baked ziti for the 20th time or tryed to get to know neighbors who are never around. But all of those things have been put to rest now. Last night I was watching the NYC auditions of American Idol. And I can tell you that I was proud to say I was from the tri-state area as I watched (and heard) the contestants sing their hearts out and blow the competition from Seattle and Minneapolis (which had horrible auditions in case you haven't already heard that around the water cooler) out of the water.
Now that may seem like a silly reason to be proud of living in NJ but it wasn't to me. It told me that I was beginning to think of NJ as home and as a place where I can put down roots. A place where I can live for years and years without worrying about moving for the 24th time (literally). For this Third Culture Kid, feeling at home here is a great feeling. I love that this is my second winter here and not the first. I love that I can remember the names of most of the people from the Chapel that I know (note that I said 'most' :). And I love the feeling of good pride that comes from knowing you belong to a great place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious... my sister and brother-in-law just had people over to celebrate a family event, and since they're both from NJ (Butler and Paramus, respectively), we had... BAKED ZITI!! Ah, Jersey... oh how I miss your awesomeness. :)

Snwwhite said...

i love that you are blogging more lately - i love you friend - glad we got to talk yesterday!