I love this picture. Christine took it when she and Kim and I went to Port Jefferson. I guess the picture just captures my mood tonight. God showed his love this week by giving me phone calls or time with all of my family and closest friends and even a couple of college friends I haven't heard from in forever. It was a great week for that.I was reading tonight in the book "Blue Like Jazz" and came across this thought. Check it out: Don Miller writes,
"I know a little of why there is blood in my body, pumping life into my limbs and thought into my brain. I am wanted by God. He is wanting to preserve me, to guide me through the darkness of the shadow of death, up into the highlands of His presence and afterlife. I understand that I am temporary, in this shell of a thing on this dirt of an earth. I am being tempted by Satan, we are all being tempted by Satan, but I am preserved to tell those who do not know about our Savior and our Redeemer."
What a thought! I am wanted by God! He wants to know me and commune with me even more than I want to know and commune with my dearly loved family and best friends and nephew. There are so many moments when I wish that the space between our family was smaller, that we could live a "normal" life where we live in the same country and see each other on a regular basis and spend enough time together that we don't have to try to pack every thing into a week or a weekend or even a day. There are moments when I would give just about everything to see Jack, to laugh with Dad, to talk about music with the guys and to do just about anything with Bethany and Christine and Mom. But even more than I want that, God wants me!! I don't know if I can even grasp that tonight, but I want to. God wants me and I want to want him just as much. I want to chase him and follow him and pursue knowing him with more passion than anything else that I do in life. And yet, I'm a person. I fail at this every day. And he still wants me. I am never too far to walk back to God. He never gets tired of me admitting that I can't do this life myself and that I need him-not just a little but a lot! He doesn't tire of seeing me walking back towards him. He wants that, desires it and even helps me with it!
2 comments:
Well put, Bekah. That picture did a good job of capturing your thoughts. I think we can all relate in different ways. I, too, often wish we were in closer proximity. Here in Guyana, we see all the interaction within families and it makes me miss everyone even more. These empty places do truly make us pursue God in ways maybe we wouldn't have if we had the closeness of family and friends.
Love you so much,
Mom
your thoughts are so appropriate about the shear fact that God wants us and sustains us for that relationship. Being in situations that are not your own personal ideal, make you realize that God's love affair with us is more than enough for all our needs.
I learned a lesson over this past year that can be summed up as this 'Constancy is not a virtue'
I mean that having everything always the perfect same and perfect comfortable is not always what's best for us. The lack of consistency in what our lives consist of is a great tool that God uses to teach us of our need for absolute dependance on Him.
I learned that in the midst of all our times of travel and settling and traveling and settleing and when having great times with family and friends and having times with family and fiends 1000's of miles away.
Post a Comment