1. Pride and Prejudice-the 2005 movie soundtrack. Composed by Dario Marianelli and performed by many artists, including Jean-Yves Thibaudet and the English Chamber Orchestra.This album is incredible. The music is at times lilting and yearning. The best track is "Your Hands are Cold", the track that plays behind the scene when Elizabeth and Darcy finally acknowledge their love on a misty morning in the English countryside. The whole album and movie is so beautiful that it makes me ache.
2. Back Home-Caedmon's Call.
The artistry that Caedmon's group expresses on this album is so good. The stories they tell with their songs and the depth of the lyricism-oh, such good music! My favorite tracks are "Hands of the Potter" and "Beautiful Mystery".
3. The Beatles 1-The Beatles.
This was my introductory Beatles album and is still my favorite. The songs on here span from lively and fun to contemplative. This album includes my favorite Beatles song, "Eight Days a Week".
4. Divine Discontent-Sixpence None the Richer.
This album holds many memories for me but my appreciation is not just based on memories. I think this album is the best of all the Sixpence albums so far (more to come when they reunite later this year-yea!). It's balanced musically and has really solid songs. My favorite song is "A Million Parachutes". This song takes me back to a night of being snowed in during my Jr. year at LBC when I was living in Roseville with Rachel and the girls. This song made me yearn for Florida in warmer weather.
5. Girls and Boys-Ingrid Michaelson.
Discovering this album was all thanks to Christine and the Old Navy sweater commercials. I asked for it as a gift because of the song "The Way I Am" but discovered so many other gems of songs on the album later.
6. Win a Date with Tad Hamilton movie soundtrack.
So many great songs on this album. My favorite is "Why can't I?" by Liz Phair and "Special" by Wilshire.
Favorite new songs:
"A New Day" by the Robbie Seay Band from their album Give Yourself Away and
"Swing Wide the Glimmering Gates" from Andrew Osenga's (Caedmon's Call) ep Letters to the Editor.
7. Come Away with Me-Norah Jones.
This is my favorite album to listen to at night, but I just love it any time of the day. I love the jazziness of it and the great lyrics. Favorite songs would be "Don't Know Why" and "Come Away with Me".
8. Illuminate-The David*Crowder Band.
This album came from Rachel and has been played so many times in the mornings. Every song on this album is solid but my favorite is "O Praise Him".
9. Wide-Eyed and Mystified-Downhere.
What an incredible album this is. Every time I listen to it, I discover more about it that I love. The song that first drew me to the album was the masterpiece, "A Better Way" but more eventual favorites are "Little is Much" and "Surrender". Someday I'll get to see them in concert!
10. The Beautiful Letdown-Switchfoot.
This is the album that really got me into Switchfoot as a band. I had liked certain of their songs before but this was the album that I loved for every song on it. Favorites would be "24", "More than Fine" and "Gone".
11. In Between Dreams-Jack Johnson.
Another find from Christine-amazing album. The song "Do you Remember" always makes me smile but I also love "Better Together" and "Never Know".
12. Who We Are Instead-Jars of Clay.
This album made me loves Jars all over again. "Sunny Days", "Amazing Grace"-not the one you think it is- and "Show You Love". I think this is their best album so far.
13. City on a Hill: The Gathering-various of my favorite artists.
This was such a great set of projects and group of artists. "Beautiful Scandolous Night" takes you by surprise and is so very good.
14. The Finding Neverland movie soundtrack-Jan Kazmarek.
I discovered this soundtrack thanks to Karen E. This was what we listened to when we both came home stressed from work and needing calm. It's amazing. I love "Neverland [Piano Variation in Blue]" and "Impossible Opening" and "The Forgotten Overture". Soaring, transplanting music that makes you think you are right there.
I picked 14 because I couldn't leave any of these out. What about you? What are your favorite albums?
1 comment:
Hi Bekah! Nice list! Very fun- I am very proud of your increased music listening.
So here are some of my favorites (not necessarily in order):
1. Odessey and Oracle, by the Zombies. This may just be my favorite album overall- who knows ;) I would almost dare to say that this is as good as (though naturally very different) anything the Beatles did. Ok, that's blasphemy, but it is REALLY good. A very smart band.
2. Revolver and Abbey Road, by the Beatles. Revolver is the first Beatles album I really got into, and it is still a favorite. Abbey has so many good songs though! Here Comes the Sun is my official overall favorite song.
3. It's Hard to Find a Friend, by Pedro the Lion. One of my favorite late 90's indie rock albums. So mellow and soulful.
4. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, by Pavement. I recently became obsessed with Pavement, another 90's (earlier) indie rock band. Or they are probably THE 90's indie rock band. This is my favorite album of theirs.
5. Pet Sounds, by the Beach Boys. You need to listen to this.
6. Funeral, by the Arcade Fire. This is one of the most cohesive recent rock albums I have heard. Everything works together so well.
7. Old Friends, Simon and Garfunkel. So this is sort of cheating because it's a three disc compilation, with so many good songs it's really not fair. It could be said that this "album" was what really marked the turning point in my growing interest in pre-1990's pop music. After Old Friends, there was no going back.
8. Glassworks, by Philip Glass. A quintessential work by my favorite modern composer.
So there's so much more, but those are just a few that I thought of...
Post a Comment