13 July, 2007

Harry Potter and my small group

I think those are two of my favorite subjects right now. I've begun reading the Harry Potter books finally and am in the beginning of book 4: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I blew through the first three but I'm thinking #4 will take me longer since it is 798 pages (!). I'm really enjoying discovering these books. I liked the movies but am loving the books. Jo Rowling is such a funny writer. I'm enjoying reading the thoughts of Harry as he grows. Those books are a great window into the mind of a kid, even a fictional one. I think the books are so popular with kids because (among other things) he sounds like a regular kid in the books. The way he thinks, reacts and talks is realistic (despite being a wizard :). So yea, I'm excited to see movie #5 tonight with friends from small group. I'm also really excited to go to the book release party next weekend with those same friends.
And what I'm most excited about today is my small group. We had the coolest time last night. The weather was gorgeous so we sat outside on blankets and chairs. We were studying joy (Psalm 23 and Phil. 4) and so we had the joyful experience of eating Popsicles and ice cream bars-such fun! It took me 4 tries to get a berry Popsicle-thanks to all who ate the tropical flavored ones in the quest and thanks to Rachel who found the berry one. Last night was just an example of the cool things God has done in our group. This group has gelled in the most amazing way. It's not just a group of 20 and 30 somethings anymore. It's a group of friends who love each other, care for and pray for each other. It's a group of people who are serious about walking with Jesus and who genuinely welcome people into the group. It's a group of people who love being together and hanging out during the week. If any of you are reading this blog-you are awesome and I'm privileged to lead this group! To top off our neat night, Janine led us in worship and picked great songs-God of Wonders, sung at dusk while being surrounded by fireflies is one of my favorite recent memories. God is good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.